25 July 2012


Today we have author Angela Carling as our guest in Standing Up Against Abuse. It's a pleasure working with her and having a chance to talk to her about about Abuse and how to help prevent it. Another author standing up... how about you? Are you standing up with us too?

What made you decide to share a story involving relationship abuse?

I go to a lot of Jr. High and High schools. I think teenagers are amazing! At the same time, I know they are also extremely vulnerable.  They don’t always know what is normal in relationships because it’s the first time they’ve experienced it. In short, I wrote about relationship abuse because if a boy or girl knows what’s not right or normal, they can get out of bad relationships before they become it becomes long term or even reaches marriage. In short, I wanted to lessen the pain for all those beautiful, smart girls out there that might be caught unaware.

What do you think teens should know in order to stay safe in a relationship?

First, get educated. Know what is healthy and what is not. Next, set your boundaries and stick to them.  For example, if your boyfriend wants you to do something you are not ready to or don’t feel comfortable with, tell him and then stick to it.  Either he will respect how you feel or he’s not worth the hassle. This is the only way Real lasting love will grow and isn’t that what all of us hopeless romantics really want. Third, if you are belittled or controlled in any way, get out of the relationship as soon as you realize it’s not good. You have control over your choices and especially your body, and no one has the right to take that away.


Was the process of developing the idea of this book emotional for you? Were you ever afraid of getting too graphic with the details? 

Yes, this book was emotional, partly because my sister was beat repeatedly by an abuser and partly because I know there are beautiful, talented women out there who are needlessly suffering. In fact, sometimes when I was writing I would have to take a break because my heart and sometimes my stomach would ache. That being said, I never intended to make this a graphic book about abuse. I hate that stuff. This book was written to, in sneaky way behind-a-super fast paced-and-majorly-engaging storyline teach you what to run from so that you never even got close to the graphic, abuse stuff. That is what inspired me as I wrote this story. I see Shackled as very hopeful and empowering story and hope you do too.

What do you hope teenagers take from reading SHACKLED?

I want them to know that true love, aka good healthy relationships do exist and not to settle for anything less!!!



Title: Shackled
Author: Angela Carling
Publisher: Acacia Publishing, 204 Pages (June 1st, 2012)
Add to: Goodreads 
Order here: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository

Synopsis: After shy, quiet Lucy and her family move from their small hometown in Minnesota to Seattle, Washington, she is surprised when Ryan, the most popular boy at school asks her out. Soon, she is swept up in a whirlwind romance and her naïve and trusting nature allows her to fall head over heels in love with her too-good-to-be suitor. Suddenly, Lucy finds herself enraptured by the excitement of her new relationship, leaving her blinded to the warning signs of danger ahead. Can her fairy tale romance last, or will she find that her prince charming is more like a wolf in sheep’s clothing.




Find Angela Online: 

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook




Shackled Book Trailer:


*I am not compensated at all for any of the links within this post.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love